The Transversal Navigation (TTN), 2020-?
WHAT IS TTN?
The Transversal Navigation (TTN) is a performative-educational entity which works towards a different state of global reality – meaning that it creates other ways of being in the same world. An integral effect of transversal navigation is gradual, systemic and conscious alienation.
This project was in preparatory stages even before the advent of the SARS-COV-2 epidemic. Much has changed since then. The situation forces us to think how the contemporary situation of SARS-COV-2 might shift our understanding of reality. Can we fully (or at least partially) understand the changes which are taking place around (and within) us?
What types of relationships can become reality in such an environment and how might they influence our lives? Are they really so fundamental? It is quite possible that if we were able to understand these “new” relationships, we would also be able to understand how “power” affects our bodies.
Open commentary on TTN:
- Transversality is a dimension which allows the transgression of those limits within which the mind has been inserted.
- Transversality is neither vertical nor horizontal.
- Transversality has neither center nor periphery.
- Transversality is a thin line – it cuts in a single stroke.
- Transversality is that which allows anything to become anything.
- Transversality questions any limits.
- Transversality transcends individuals, creators, authors, their function and opens heretofore closed pathways of movement and perception. It is an open articulation.
- Transversality is the ability to evade, overcome, but also to protect oneself.
- Transversality creates a whole new constitution for both institution and group.
- Transversality is beyond any collective, although it begins with what appears to be one, it always tends towards maximum openness (sensitivity) – sensorial awareness.
- Transversality creates its own concepts and affirms the singularity of everyone in the group.
- Transversality consists in the interchangeability – haziness – blur – transparency of roles.
- Transversality looks for no cure but integrates everything through its relation to the environment.
- Transversality cuts through both text and matter. It cancels out polarity.
- Transversality is processuality. The movement between the perceivable and the almost imperceptible.
- Transversality projects the new, but it is not a new method.
- Transversality is an immortal force rejuvenating life.
- Transversality has pedagogical (and also political) potential for expanding the conditions of a given praxis.
- Transversality occurs when we are conscious of how we move and act in a space, but not as individuals, but rather as a gathering of human and non-human, material and immaterial perceptions.
- Transversality is a total welcome of all possibilities.
Transversal Navigation focuses on how art, objects, collectivity, and thought are formed and transformed in relation to other human and non-human elements. The Transversal Navigation project is a distributed experimental praxis within which the human is exposed to a vaster and ever more complex configuration. The transversal navigation is a collaboration of the environment – an ecology of praxis.
Structure of TTN:
The performative-educational entity The Transversal Navigation (TTN) internally brings together several diverse projects that have a common background in performative, processual and educational practice.
Inventory of projects:
- The Transversal Navigation (TTN) is an performative-educational research project prepared for the premises of the AMU Gallery. The project was divided into three consecutive parts, which were realized during 2021.
- The project Unofficial Proof is an educative, performative-processual experiment. As a shifting collective of authors and performers, we focus on researching performative mapping, collective insight and urban interspatiality. We are drawn by “hybrid” spaces (anonymous realities) considered as neglected – spontaneous – ambivalent (odd or otherwise chaotic). These spaces possess a great level of dynamic energy. Various human and non-human actors are woven into this dynamic web and further support or disrupt its relationality. From this point of view, we can consider these spaces as possessing a high level of openness and ingenuity. We can observe them as local ecosystems – dynamic interfaces. Performative mapping is thus rather a platform within a frame, allowing for an improved development of imagination. It can thus become a product of a collective attempt at understanding the role of a given place. All the activities which constitute the UP project are focused on projects of [designing/mapping reality] which tend towards performativity.
- Case Study 1, New Delhi, India, 2022-?
- Case Study 2: Alliance, 2021-22
- Publications Unofficial Proof – Case Study 2: Alliance will be available online during February 2022.
- Case Study 3: Praia de Norte, Portugal, 2022-?
- The case study arises following the Sea-Water Amplification (SWA) educational-research environment.
- Infinite Manual: Moving Between Intuition and Chaos is a constantly evolving handbook, a set of dynamic instructions which the users ought to keep in a constant state of becoming. Each version of the Infinite Manual is custom-made for the given project.
- The Earth Trembles (TET) is still an active performative-process project that began in 2015. Since then, many people from very diverse communities around the world took part in developing this project. The last activity of this project took place in 2019 in New Delhi, India, in collaboration with artist and lecturer Veronika Resslova and a group of students from the University of New Delhi. The Earth Trembles (TET) project can be considered as the ideological basis of the whole performative-educational entity The Transversal Navigation (TTN).
- The Earth Trembles ed. 1, 2015
- The Earth Trembles, video essay (in cooperation with Michal Cáb), 2015
- The East Trembles [ed. 2 Act First], Jakarta, Indonésie, 2017
- The East Trembles [ed. 2 Act Second], Jakarta, Indonésie, 2017
- The East Trembles [ed. 3, Deep Adaptation, Phase 1: Distribution of Flexibility], DEPO Plzeň, 2019
- The East Trembles [ed. 3, Deep Adaptation, Phase 2: Ecology Of Our Juridical System], New Delhi, Dharamshala, Indie, 2019
- Distribution of Flexibility, lecture, PRAHA / Fórum pro architekturu a média, 2019
Website: The Transversal Navigation (TTN)
External resources (only Czech language):
Statement GAMU: Video statement TTN / CZ/EN
Interview between choreographer Hana Turečková and artist Aleš Čermák: Interview / CZ
Interview between curator Petr Krátký and artist Aleš Čermák: Interview / CZ
Reflection of The Transversal Navigation by theorist Vít Bohal: TTN – 3/4.sk / CZ